Evaluate the Long-term (3 Months) Efficacy of L-threo DOPS (DroxiDopa) on Orthostatic Hypotension Symptoms and Other Non-motor Symptoms in Patients With Multiple System Atrophy (MSA). Comparative Study Versus Placebo
Evaluate the effects of L-Threo DOPS on orthostatic hypotension symptoms and other non-motor symptoms in patients with Multiple System Atrophy (MSA) after 12 weeks following randomization to continued therapy with droxidopa or placebo.
• MSA patients (possible or probable, MSA-P or C (according to revised criteria, Gilman et al 2008)).
• Aged 30 to 80 years,
• Able to walk at least 10 meters
• With symptomatic OH (score of at least 3 at one of the items of Part I of the OH scale (OHQ))
• Documented fall in systolic blood pressure of at least 20 mmHg, and/or in diastolic blood pressure of at least 10 mmHg, within 3 minutes after standing.
• Able to fill in the evaluation questionnaires with or without help
• With no significant problems with swallowing.
• Stable anti-parkinsonian, dysautonomia and depression treatments for the 4 weeks before the study and during the entire study
• Signed written informed consent for the present study.