Effect of Acupuncture on Brain Serotonin Among Breast Cancer Survivors
RATIONALE: New imaging procedures, such as single photon emission computed tomography, may help in learning how acupuncture affects serotonin levels in the brain of breast cancer survivors. PURPOSE: This phase I trial is studying the best way to visualize the effect of acupuncture on brain serotonin in breast cancer survivors.
• History of Stage I, II, or III breast cancer for at least 12 months
• Have been seen by an oncologist within the previous 6-month period and determined to be free of disease by clinical examination and history
• Have been receiving endocrine therapy (tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors for at least four weeks)
• Experienced hot flashes with a hot flash composite score of 5 or greater per day
• Hot flashes have been present for at least a month before study entry