Perioperative Ostomy Self-Management Telehealth (Periop-OSMT) for Cancer Patients and Family Caregivers
This phase II trial studies how well Perioperative Ostomy Self-Management Telehealth (Periop-OSMT) provides patients and their caregivers information about ostomy and ostomy care. Periop-OSMT may help to understand patient preparedness to do ostomy self-care, confidence in doing ostomy self-care, knowledge of ostomy self-care, quality of life, mood, use of medical services, and financial burden.
• PATIENT: Scheduled to undergo a surgical procedure that includes the creation of an intestinal stoma (fecal or urinary).
• PATIENT: Able to read and understand English.
• PATIENT: Patients scheduled for temporary ostomy procedures
• SUPPORT PERSON/FCG: Family member/friend identified by the patient as the primary caregiver before and after surgery.
• SUPPORT PERSON/FCG: Able to read and understand English.
• Patients with all stages of disease are eligible for the study.
• The study is open to anyone regardless of gender or ethnicity. Efforts are made to extend the accrual to a representative population.