Determining the Optimal Treatment Strategy for Patients Who Have Chronic Migraine With Medication Overuse
There are two commonly used treatment strategies for treating patients who have chronic migraine with medication overuse. This study will compare the outcomes amongst patients randomized to one of the two treatment strategies.
• Adults, at least 21 years of age
• Chronic Migraine - diagnosed according to ICHD3beta criteria
• Medication Overuse - diagnosed according to ICHD3beta criteria
• Willingness to be randomized to either of the two treatment arms
• Willingness to maintain a headache diary
• Plan for follow-up care with the clinician
• No changes to migraine prophylactic therapy within the 4 weeks prior to randomization.